1965 in Munich - Theo Sommer founded his equestrian saddlery and developed at the beginning of the thermoplastic plastic tree of the way to the modern saddletree prepared. For this and other special achievements Theo Sommer awarded in 1976 the State Prize of the Federal Republic of Germany.
1970, a new and large production facility was built at the company's current location in Pirmasens. Even today all Sommer saddles produced here on the edge of the Pfälzer Forest.
The 80s were marked by the expansion of the international market and the ever increasing and becoming more professional production. Sommer saddles were known and appreciated worldwide.
Another decisive innovation in modern saddlefitting in 1993 - Sommer saddles are fully adjustable.
1995 gave the company founder Theo Sommer the company to his son Alexander Sommer before addition to his master's examination also state and national winner in saddle craft was.
Also in 1995, the new leisure time saddle Evolution came on the market and starts its successful career. To date, the Evolution is one of the most popular trail riding saddles in the world.
Beginning of 2000, we developed the Sandwich panels or Protection panel called today, another huge success for the modern saddle fitting.
Today, the company is still as innovative and creative as 50 years ago. The La Vita saddle tree for seat sizes up to 21.5 or the seats for saddles are just a few examples of the uniqueness of a Sommer saddle.
What began in 1965 in a small Factory is today living history. Theo Sommer was one pioneers of the modern saddle construction. His son Alexander Sommer continues this tradition and the next generation of Sommer saddle fitter is ready. To connect the Discerning and modern, for the wishes of horse lovers around the world.
- 1965 Theo SOMMER founds the company with three employees in Munich.
- 1966 The development of the patented, thermoplastic saddle tree made of synthetic material causes a revolution. It has found imitators all over the world.
- 1970 A new production plant is erected in Pirmasens and the company leaves Munich.
- 1971 A second production plant is erected for accessories and an economically priced range of saddles.
- 1973 A new dressage saddle is developed in co-operation with Egon v. Neindorff.
- 1974 Sommer provides the equipment for the Olympic champion Josef Neckermann.
- 1975 Three people are employed as external sales force.
- 1976 Sommer is awarded the "Staatspreis" of Germany for outstanding achievements.
- 1977 A trail ride across the USA that last 6,000 kilometers makes Sommer saddles famous all over the world.
- 1980 Extension of the company facilities in Pirmasens.
- 1982 Member of the Bundesverband der Deutschen Sportartikelindustrie (BSI = the German federal sports-equipment trade association)
- 1985 Efforts to increase the international market share.
- 1990 Alexander René SOMMER wins the regional and the statewide saddle-craft contest.
- 1991 SOMMER provides the equipment for the French national team.
- 1993 A new mix of materials makes SOMMER saddles continuously adjustable.
- 1994 Alexander René Sommer passes the exam for master craftsmen in the field of saddles in Bavaria.
- 1995 The founder of the company, Theo Sommer, hands the company over to his son Alexander Rene Sommer.
- 1995 Development of a special saddle for trail rides ("Evolution").
- 1996 "Staatspreis" fo Germany for arts and crafts.
- 1998 Building a distribution network in the USA.
- 2000 The facilities in Pirmasens are extended.
- 2001 A new´saddle panel in sandwich construction is develped.
- 2007 Serial production of the new leisure saddle "Spirit" starts.
- 2009 Custom-made saddles are added to the product range.
- 2010 Extension of production and increase in employees.
- 2011 The newly developed saddle line "Remos" is launched successfully.